Creole Seafood Gumbo
Antoine's mouthwatering Creole Gumbo recipe is a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
The Bouillabaisse of Louisiana appears in many forms. Ours is the classic Creole seafood gumbo.
- 3/4 stick butter
- 2 cups chopped green onions
- 2 cups sliced okra
- 1 cup chopped white onions
- 2 cups raw peeled shrimp
- 2 cups raw oysters
- 1 cup chopped tomato pulp
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 1/2 quarts Fish Stock
- 3 crabs (top shell discard, cut into 4 pieces)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon File (sassafras)
- 3 cups cooked rice
- salt, pepper, and cayenne
- Melt the butter and sauté the green onions, okra, white onions and crabs.
- In a separate pot put the shrimp, oysters, tomatoes and tomato juice with 1 1/2 quarts of Fish Stock and bring to a boil.
- Let boil for a minute, then add to the first pot.
- In a small skillet cook the butter and flour together until brown.
- Blend this brown roux with the File and some of the gumbo liquid and add to the gumbo.
- Add salt and pepper and cayenne to taste.
- Simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
To serve, pour 1 1/2 cups of gumbo into each bowl over 1/2 cup rice.