Creole Crawfish and Tasso Chowder
Check out this delicious Creole Crawfish and Tasso Chowder recipe.
- ½ c. Salad oil
- ½ lb. Bacon, diced
- 1 cup Tasso, finely diced
- 1 Large Onion, diced
- 3 Celery stalks, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 ea. Red and Green Peppers, diced
- 2 ears Corn, remove kernels from ears
- 1 Tbs. Tarragon, Thyme, Kosher Salt
- 1 ½ Tbs. Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 ea. Bay leaves, 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- ½ c. White wine
- ¼ c. Worcestershire sauce, 2 dashes Tabasco
- 1/2 gal. Shrimp stock or broth
- 1 c. Blonde roux* 1 qt. Heavy cream
- 4 c. Crawfish tails, pre-cooked
- 3 ea. Russet potatoes, cubed and par-boiled
- Heat oil in a medium stock pot, add bacon, sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until bacon is slightly crispy.
- Add Tasso, onions, celery, carrots and peppers, sauté for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add corn, garlic, herbs, and spices, sauté another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Deglaze with white wine, Worcestershire, and Tabasco, simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add shrimp stock, bring to a boil then whisk in roux, stirring well, so no lumps form.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 5 minutes, add heavy cream, crawfish, and strained potatoes.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Season to taste.
« Back To: New Orleans Recipes