Sweet Potato Praline Casserole
This tasty Sweet Potato Praline Casserole recipe will make your mouth water.
- 5 large sweet potatoes or yams
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup (1/4 pound) softened butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Scrub the sweet potatoes or yams well and place them in the oven. Bake until tender, about 40 minutes, and remove. When they are cool enough to handle, halve them and scoop out the insides into a large mixing bowl. Mash well. You should have about 3 cups.
- Mix the softened butter into the mashed yams or sweet potatoes along with the sugar, eggs, vanilla, and milk. Pour the mixture into a baking pan or casserole dish.
- Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan. Add the brown sugar and stir until it dissolves. Cook the mixture over medium heat until it reaches the soft-ball stage on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat and beat in the butter and the chopped pecans. Pour this mixture over the yams. Bake until very hot and beginning to brown.
Serves: Serves 6 - 8.
« Back To: New Orleans Recipes