Morton’s Cajun Ribeye
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons Morton's Cajun seasoning or other Cajun seasoning
- Six 16 oz aged ribeye steaks, each about 1½ inches thick
- 4¾ cups flavorless vegetable oil, such as canola or safflower
- 6 Tablespoons Au Jus (optional)
- Put the Morton's Cajun seasoning in a large, shallow glass or ceramic pan.
- Press each side of the steaks in the seasoning to cover completely.
- Remove the steaks and lightly pound each four to five times on each side with a meat mallet or small, heavy skillet to soften, but not flatten more than a little.
- Discard any remaining seasoning in the pan.
- Pour the oil into the pan and add the steaks one by one. They should be covered with oil; add more if necessary.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours. Alternatively, marinate steaks in heavy-duty resealable plastic bags. When you are ready to cook the steaks, remove them from the oil and pat off excess oil with paper towels. The oil can flare on the grill or in the broiler.
- Set the steaks aside for 30 to 60 minutes at room temperature.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill or preheat the broiler and position a rack 4 inches from the heating element. The coals should be medium-hot for the charcoal grill. The burners should be on high for the gas grill.
- If using a charcoal grill, grill for about 8 minutes. Turn, using tongs, and grill the other side for 8 to 9 minutes for medium rare, or until the desired degree of doneness.
- If using a gas grill, grill for about 8 minutes. Turn, using tongs, and grill the other side for 8 to 9 minutes for medium rare, or until the desired degree of doneness.
- If using a broiler, broil 4 inches from the heat source for about 8 minutes. Turn, using tongs, and grill the other side for about 8 minutes for medium rare, or until the desired degree of doneness.
- To serve, spoon some of the Au Jus over the steaks if desired.
Morton's Cajun Seasoning Ingredients:
- ½ cup paprika
- ⅓ cup salt
- ⅓ cup freshly ground white pepper
- ⅓ cup garlic powder
- ⅓ cup onion powder
- 2½ Tablespoons dried thyme
- 2½ Tablespoons dried oregano
- 2½ Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2½ Tablespoons cayenne pepper
Morton's Cajun Seasoning Instructions:
- In a mixing bowl, stir together all the ingredients.
- When mixed, transfer to an airtight container and store in a cool, dark place.
- The seasoning will keep for up to 3 months.
Note: You do not have to be perfectly precise when measuring dried herbs. If you feel better with precision 2½ Tablespoons equals 2 Tablespoons plus 1½ teaspoons.