Sweet Potato & Tasso Soup
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: 12 servings
Every Thursday at noon, Chef Jeremy Langlois of Houmas House Estate & Gardens cooks up a fun recipe live on Facebook and Instagram. Since we’ve been experiencing a little cold snap, this recipe from Chef Langlois for Sweet Potato & Tasso Soup just seemed to be calling our name. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 3 cups peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 lb. of tasso, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy bottom pot melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, celery, bell pepper, and garlic and sauté until the vegetables are translucent and tender.
- Add chicken broth and sweet potatoes and bring soup to a simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- When sweet potatoes are tender, puree the mixture in batches in a food processor.
- Return to the pot and add tasso, cinnamon, nutmeg, and parsley.
- Simmer soup for 20 minutes to allow flavor to come together.
- Add more broth or water if necessary to make a velvety smooth consistency.
- Add heavy cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot in soup bowls.
Photo Courtesy of Houmas House