Ponchatoula Strawberry Pie
Dessert American, Southern
- Prep Time:
- Wait Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: 8
Every April, New Orleans heads across Lake Pontchartrain for the Ponchatoula Strawberry Festival where, in addition to flats of strawberries, you can enjoy strawberry shortcake, deep-fried strawberries, strawberry daiquiris and more. With this pie recipe, which we think tastes a lot like Shoney’s Strawberry Pie, you can have your own festival at home.
- 1 9-inch frozen pie crust
- 1 pint of fresh Ponchatoula strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup strawberry Jell-O
- 1 cup water
- Pre-bake the pie crust as directed on package and cool to room temperature.
- Wash and hull your Ponchatoula strawberries, then cut them in half (if your berries are huge, you may want to cut them even smaller).
- In a sauce pan, over medium-high, combine water, sugar, cornstarch and strawberry Jell-O for glaze.
- Whisk continually to prevent scorching or clumping.
- When the mixture comes to a gentle boil, remove from heat and allow to cool and thicken slightly (it should still be pourable).
- Whisk occasionally while cooling.
- Add your sliced berries to pie crust. Pour glaze over berries.
- Chill pie in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours.
- Top with whipped cream and serve.
Recipe By: Missy Terrebonne
« Back To: Recipe of the Month