Mulate’s Sweet Potato Crunch
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: 12 Servings
Their homemade sweet potato casserole is the best version we’ve ever discovered of this classic Thanksgiving dish. Prepare in advance for a stress-free turkey day.
Ingredients for sweet potato mixture:
- 60 oz. canned sweet potatoes, drained or 4 lb. boiled, skinned sweet potatoes
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Ingredients for brown sugar topping:
- 16 oz. light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 stick butter, melted
- 2 cups chopped pecans
Combine brown sugar and flour. Add melted butter and chopped pecans. Mix until fully incorporated. Spread on top of sweet potato mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9X13 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mash sweet potatoes.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into prepared baking dish. (If preparing in advance, cover and refrigerate at this point.)
- Top with brown sugar topping and bake for 35 minutes
Looking for More Holiday Recipes?
If you liked Mulate’s Sweet Potato Crunch recipe and are looking for a cookbook with more great Cajun Holiday dishes, check out And remember, next time you’re in New Orleans, spending an evening dancing and eating with the locals at Mulate’s!