Mint Julep: Riverboat City of New Orleans
- Prep Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: 1 cocktail
While sipping a Mint Julep on the balcony of a riverboat is heaven, your front porch will do. While the proper way to prepare this Southern libation is commonly debated (the more cool ones you consume, the hotter the discussion) here’s how the bartenders do it on The Riverboat City of New Orleans. Prepare the mint syrup in advance and then, when you make an individual cocktail, you’ll only need the last few ingredients.
Mint Syrup Ingredients (yields approximately 8 cocktails):
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 bunch fresh mint sprigs
Instructions for Syrup:
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water.
- Boil for 5 minutes without stirring. Remove from the heat.
- Pour over a handful of mint leaves and gently crush the mint with a spoon.
- Refrigerate syrup mixture overnight in a closed jar.
- Remove mint leaves and continue to refrigerate.
Note: This syrup mixture will keep for several weeks. You can use already prepared mint syrup but homemade is better!
Cocktail ingredients (yields one cocktail):
- 2 tablespoons Mint Syrup (see recipe above)
- Fresh mint leaves
- Crushed ice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 ounces good-quality Kentucky bourbon
- Fresh mint sprig
Instructions for 1 Cocktail:
- Crush a few mint leaves in the bottom of an 8-ounce cup (using the back of a spoon to crush mint leaves) until mixture forms a paste.
- Fill the cup 1/2 full with crushed or shaved ice.
- Add prepared Mint Syrup, water, and bourbon.
- Garnish with a fresh sprig of mint.