King Cake Bread Pudding
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: Serves 12
Mardi Gras is celebrated all over Louisiana, including at Houmas House, the Crown Jewel of Louisiana’s River Road. Come for a tour of the mansion, gardens and the new Great River Road Museum, and stay for brunch, lunch or dinner. Until then, enjoy this festive, sweet treat fit for a sugar baron!
Bread Pudding Ingredients:
- 1 (1-pound) brioche loaf, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Bread Pudding Directions:
- Divide bread between 12 (4-ounce) ramekins.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cream, milk, sugar, amaretto, and vanilla. Whisk until blended.
- Spoon egg mixture equally over bread, and let stand 30 minutes, occasionally pressing bread into milk mixture.
- Prepare bread pudding up to 2 hours ahead, if desired, then cover, and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet, and cook until custard is set in center, 18 to 22 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then top with Almond Glaze and Mardi Gras Sugars.
Almond Glaze Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
Almond Glaze Directions:
- In a medium bowl, add sugar, milk, and extract; whisk until combined.
- To thicken, add additional confectioners’ sugar; whisk to combine.
Mardi Gras Sugars Ingredients:
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- Yellow food coloring
- Green food coloring
- Purple food coloring
Mardi Gras Sugars Directions:
- Place 1 cup of sugar into 3 quart-size resealable plastic bags.
- Add 5 drops yellow food coloring into one; seal and shake to combine.
- Add 5 drops green food coloring into the second; seal and shake to combine.
- Add 5 drops purple food coloring into remaining bag; seal and shake to combine.
Photo Courtesy of Houmas House