Chef Ron's Turkey Sausage Gumbo
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: 2 gallons or 25 servings
Since 2012, people in search of gumbo as good as their grandmother’s have found it at Chef Ron’s Gumbo Stop at 2309 N. Causeway Blvd. Award-winning chef Ron Iafrate uses only fresh, local ingredients in his gumbos – you should, too. This is the perfect use for your leftover holiday turkey.
Ingredients for sweet potato mixture:
- 8 oz celery, diced
- 8 oz bell pepper, diced
- 8 oz onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- ½ cup blackening seasoning
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 pound cut okra
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 gallon turkey stock
- 3 lbs turkey meat
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb cooked rice
- Roast turkey. Remove meat from bones and reserve. Use the turkey bone to make broth, drain and reserve. This process could be done the day before and stored in refrigerator until use.
- In your favorite gumbo pot, heat the oil until hot and add the flour over medium heat. Keep stirring until you reach the color of dark chocolate. Remember to take your time and keep stirring.
- When you reach the desired color, add onions, peppers and celery to the roux and mix well. Cook for a few minutes, adding the turkey stock and stirring at the same time, mixing well.
- Add okra, bay leaves, oregano, basil, diced tomatoes and mix well.
- Add smoked sausage and turkey meat and simmer until okra has softened.
- Serve hot over cooked rice.
Note: You can substitute tasso or andouille sausage for smoked sausage. You can also substitute boiled sweet potatoes or potato salad for rice.
* Prep time includes time for making stock
Recipe By: Chef Ron's Gumbo Stop
« Back To: Recipe of the Month