- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Commander’s Palace is famous for its Bread Pudding Soufflé but, now that fall has arrived, Chef Meg Bickford is craving something warm and comforting. Apple Cobbler fits the bill. Serve with Chef Meg’s Caramel Sauce and top with vanilla ice cream for the perfect autumn treat.
Ingredients for Apple mixture:
- 6 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into slices ¼ inch thick
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp butter, browned, warm
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Batter:
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 1 ¾ cups sugar, granulated
Ingredients for Pecan-Oat Streusel:
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and grease a 9×13 inch pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, and salt in medium bowl.
- Drizzle the melted butter over top and stir to combine. The mixture will be clumpy. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, toss apples with lemon juice, vanilla and browned butter.
- Separately, whisk together brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, clove and salt.
- Dust apple mixture with dry spice mix.
- Pour apple mixture into prepared pan.
- In a large bowl mix together the eggs, heavy cream and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour and sugar, just until combined.
- Pour the mixture over the apples in the pan.
- Evenly sprinkle the streusel topping over the batter.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the topping comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Ingredients for Caramel Sauce:
- 1 lb. butter, unsalted
- 1 qt granulated sugar
- 1 qt heavy cream
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 T vanilla extract
Instructions for Caramel Sauce:
- Heat butter over medium-high heat in a deep stainless-steel pot.
- Once butter is melted, add the sugar and stir to incorporate.
- Once the butter and sugar reach a dark amber color add cream, vanilla and salt.
- Bring pot back to boil before removing from heat.