Mardi Gras season is upon us, and the city will soon be over-taken by parades, revelers, beads and doubloons. It’s a truly special time of year in New Orleans, and one that attracts thousands of visitors to New Orleans, and more specifically the French Quarter, each year.
While in the French Quarter enjoying the Mardi Gras season, it’s inevitable that revelers will need to grab some food to accompany their beverages. Many of our favorite restaurants are located right in the French Quarter and will be open all throughout the Mardi Gras season. These restaurants are all casual establishments that offer a delicious New Orleans-style meal and a drink or two to boot.
- Huck Finn’s Cafe is a great dining spot well-known for classics like jambalaya and shrimp po’boys. They also serve breakfast and have a few signature drinks on their bar menu. The fruity Gator Bite comes highly recommended.
- Daisy Dukes conveniently offers two locations downtown – one in the CBD area and one in the French Quarter. They’re well known for their bottomless Bloody Marys and offer a 24-hour breakfast menu for all your egg-related cravings.
- Crescent City Brewhouse serves a frosty variety of artisanal brews alongside an impressive menu featuring gourmet twists on many classic New Orleans dishes. They also offer briny oysters on the half shell and sell to-go beers from the front of the restaurant.
- Chartres House Cafe is a casual fun place with open air seating and a lively atmosphere. The menu features delectable favorites like New Orleans BBQ shrimp and crawfish cakes. Rumor has it this used to be one of Tennessee Williams’s favorite drinking spots. It’s great spot for people-watching.
- Pierre Maspero’s is located in a historical building near the heart of the French Quarter. It’s one of the oldest buildings in the French Quarter and still one of the best places to grab a muffuletta or a fried oyster po’boy.
- Cafe Pontalba is situated right on Jackson Square and offers fantastic people-watching in their open and airy dining room. While you can easily get New Orleans classics here, they also offer juicy steaks, thick burgers and creamy seafood pastas.
While many more restaurants are located throughout the French Quarter and the surrounding area, these are a sure bet for tasty food, satisfying drink and friendly service. Have a safe and happy Carnival season, and as we say here in Louisiana – Laissez les bon temps rouler! (Let the good times roll!)